As I get older and hopefully wiser, I pay more attention to what might be called spirituality. This blog has provoked quite a lot of discussion with my friends and here I try to summarise changes that I have noticed in myself in the form of a list. I am not claiming to be good at any of these things but at least I am aware of them. Some of the points you may have already heard. I don’t claim ownership of any of them. Perhaps later I will post an article about each point, so here goes – in no order of importance:
- Be open to facts that do not fit your expectations. Only by being open do you allow magic or miracles to happen in your life.
- Be aware of your actions and their consequences. Every-thing that you do or think has an influence on the world and the other people in it.
- Try to understand things from the other person’s point of view. There is often more than one right answer !
- Be honest to and about yourself. Do not act a persona as people will not get to know the real you. This can cause problems later on.
- Do not try to change other people to fit your expectations. Accept them as they are by changing your thoughts about them. If there is a problem then it is not real – it exists in only your mind !
- Always tell the truth – even if it hurts.
- Practise awareness meditation to calm yourself and at the same time increase your powers of understanding and observation.
- Let go of Ego. A certain amount of pride in oneself is healthy but don’t allow this to overtake you. My hair fell out and I laughed about it. I still do !
- Avoid negativity. Don’t get drawn into negative discussions and ranting about what is wrong in the world. Concentrate on what you want and how to achieve it.
- Gratitude is important. Be grateful for all the things, large or small that happen to you.
- Realise that when you interact with someone you are interacting with yourself since we are all one. Think about how you would like to be treated and treat that other person in the same way – or better !
- Realise that nothing is eternal and so enjoy every moment as if it were your last by trying to do the right thing.
- Avoid pouring toxins into your body. This may take the form of bad food, drugs, alcohol, smoking or even bad thoughts/actions.
- Value every person you encounter and every interaction with them. You do not know what they have experienced so take time to listen to them and understand them in a non-critical and non-judgemental way. Perhaps they have a special message or teaching for you !
- Try to become independent – emotionally and financially and help others to do the same. Only from a place of independence can we interact in an honest and pure way with others.
- Avoid mainstream media such as television and most cinema. Be selective in what information you expose yourself to. Only in this way can you break free from the malicious brainwashing and programming that occurs in modern life. The majority of people do not even realise that they are imprisoned in such a system.
- Go outside and enjoy nature. Yes – even hug a tree !